What is it about the Fall season that makes you wanna try new food recipes for the kids? The change of the summer heat to cool and brisk mornings cause for foods that tend to keep our children feel warm. Some favorites in our home are cheese grits and sweet potato pancakes. Try these simple recipes below and tell Creativekidzplay what you think!
Simple Cheese Grits Recipe
1. 1 cup of Jim Dandy instant grits, uncooked
2. 4 cups water, boiling
3. 1 ten oz can Campbells Cheddar cheese soup or grated cheese of your choice. (Jalepeno, Parmasan, Cheddar)
4. Slowly add the grits to boiling water and stir well. Reduce to medium-low heat and continue to cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent the grits from burning or sticking to the bottom of the pan. Next, add the cheese soup and stir well until completely combined.
Variation 1 – instead of using Cheddar cheese soup, use 2 cups of shredded (Jalepeno, Parmasan, Cheddar)
Grilled shrimp seasoned with Obay seasoning, cooked bacon pieces , chopped scallions, and a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
Picture from: http://recipejourney.com/?p=1049
Sweet Potato Pancake Recipe
- 3/4 pound sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan of boiling water, and cook until tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, and immediately immerse in cold water to loosen skins. Drain, remove skins, chop, and mash.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg. Mix mashed sweet potatoes, eggs, milk and butter in a separate medium bowl. Blend sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture to form a batter.
- Preheat a lightly greased griddle over medium-high heat. Drop batter mixture onto the prepared griddle by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook until golden brown, turning once with a spatula when the surface begins to bubble.
Look for this recipe and other great Louisiana recipes at: http://allrecipes.com
Picture from: http://bakeat350.blogspot.com/2009/11/sweet-potato-pancakes.html